The Victorian Victoria Sponge – Recipe Test

Hello 🙂

A little bit back to basics with today’s baking post with the well loved, British staple of the Victoria Sponge! Whilst doing some recipe searching this Victorian method for the sponge kept appearing; this isn’t a new method or anything dramatically different, but a way that I haven’t used before. It does seem to be a very ‘fool-proof’ method so it seems perfect for me haha!

I’m sure many of you avid bakers reading this swear by this method, but I wanted to share this little experiment with you all!

– The Victorian Victoria Sponge : Recipe Test – 

IMG_2035.JPG

Simply, this method determines the weight of out key ingredients by 4 large eggs. A lot of sponge recipes call for the same weight typically the 8 x 8 x 8. Sponge recipes are one that, after a while, you can just about guess weigh everything! I also had some new tins I wanted to try about so it all timed out well hahaa!

Looking online at this Victorian method, it calls to use 4 large eggs to give you the basis for the weights. Four large eggs gave me just over 7 oz‘s – I took out the odds to give an even 7 and set them aside. Then creaming 7 oz of soften butter and gold caster sugar, following with the eggs (slowly) and 7 oz of self-raising flour. All the older recipes just state flour, I’m not sure if they had two types back in the day’ but non of the recipes called for baking powder / rising agent. I also added a touch of vanilla as some recipes stated.

Normally I would add a dash of milk to loosen the mixture, the only mixture different was that it seemed slightly thicker. 

I was testing out some new small 4.5 ” tins that I picked up from B&M the other day. Filling them just over half way I got 3 small cakes from this 7 0z mixture – it would be enough for 2 regular size tins! Baked at 160 fan for 25-30 mins, checking regularly.

The Big Reveal…

They baked really well, plus smell delightful! They had an even golden colour and had a good rise from the flour. Oh course allowed to cool before cake construction! Again these were smaller tins.

PicMonkey Image.jpg

A lot of the proper Victorian recipes just add a jam or marmalade into the middle, but I had to add a little bit of butter cream & jam..!

Test Test!

Let me tell you, it tasted as good as it looks in the top image! As the mixture was a little thicker (without the milk) and a longer bake, I was expected it to be a little dense. But it was surprisingly good- as you can see, the texture had plenty of air and even colour. The size of these tins is just right for a couple of people, if I were stacking / properly icing I would trim off the sides also.

IMG_2036.JPG

Overall, I’m really happy with the tins and Victorian method- it keeps it so easy to remember the correct amounts haha! Plus you can easily make them chocolate by substituting 2 oz of the flour for cocoa. I know that this isn’t anything new or very exciting, but I wanted to share it with you all the same! 🙂 

I hope you’ve enjoyed this little baking experiment- hopefully I can share why I needed to test bake with these tins / recipe soon…

As always, please do let me know your thoughts on this method- or your own fool proof recipe below! 

Thank You So Much For Reading 🙂

name

Bloglovin ~             ~ Twitter ~           ~ Instagram ~           ~ Contact ~

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s