The other day we had a lovely delivery of fresh rhubarb and apples from the Grandparents; rhubarb has to be one of my favourite fruits! Wanting to bake something different to the standard pie I went searching for inspiration..
Along with another idea coming soon, the idea of a sponge bake had to be tested! So as always, this method is a collection of a few different recipes I found.
I hope you enjoy this little recipe- it is very, very tasty…
~ Baked Summer Fruits Sponge ~
You Will Need:
– 190g caster sugar – 1 tbsp plain flour – 300g washed/chopped rhubarb -110g strawberries washed/chopped – 100g apples peeled/chopped – 80g soft butter – 1 egg – 80g self raising flour – 2 tbsp vanilla – salt – dash of milk
1. Pre-heat oven to 180’F / Gas Mark 4
2. Add the prepared fruit into a medium baking dish, sprinkle on the plain flour and 90g of the sugar- mix well. Bake the fruit for 15 mins.
3. Whilst baking prepare the sponge mixture; beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add in the egg, self raising flour and salt until fully combined. Finally adding in the vanilla.
4. Once the fruit is baked, spoon over the sponge mixture and cover. Return to the oven for a further 35-40 mins until golden brown on top!
5. Allow to cool slightly before serving with cream, ice cream, custard or all three!
I am not lying when I say this is super tasty, this one dish was gone in one day here haha!
Plus you can add whatever fruit you want, also the amount for the desired size. I’ve made this a few times not and added different amount of everything each time!
I hope you enjoyed this little recipe, do let me know if you try it or links to any other baking posts or Instagrams below 🙂
Thank You So Much For Reading 🙂