Now, I’m not one for all the Valentines stuff but you know me- if there is an excuse to do some themed baking then I am! In the past I have tried making Red Velvet bakes but they never really worked..But I thought with the colour and name it would be an idea to try them again.
After looking at some different recipes I may have found where I had gone wrong in the past..most of the recipes called for red food colouring gel rather than liquid! I did have to put a few more drops in this recipe but it all depends on the quality of the colour.
And of course these aren’t specific Valentines cupcakes!
~ Red Velvet Valentines Cupcakes ~
You Will Need:
– 125 ml Whole Milk – 1 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice – 100 g Soft Butter – 160 g Caster Sugar – 1 tsp Vanilla – 2 Eggs – 170 g Plain Flour – 20 g Cocoa – 1 tsp Bicarb Soda – Salt – 2-3 tsp Red Food Gel
– 75 g Soft butter – 160 g Full Fat Cream Cheese – 210 g Icing Sugar
1. Place the milk in a jog and add in the lemon juice, stir and set aside.
2. Pre heat the oven to 175’C and line a cupcake / muffin tray.
3. Mix together the butter and sugar, then add in the eggs and vanilla until well combined.
4. Add in the flour, cocoa, bicarb and a pinch of salt and fold into the mixture.
5. Pour in the milk and mix well, start to add the colour as required.
6. Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 20-25 mins- allow to cool.
For The Icing:
1. Mix the soft butter and cream cheese together until well combined.
2. Slowly add in the icing sugar and continue to mix until smooth- set in the fridge for 5 mins before using to stiffen.
Apply to the cupcakes in whatever way you want- I trimmed the cupcake and then ‘crumbed’ the tops, after applying a generous layer of icing I dipped each cake into the crumbs.
And there you have some lovely little Red Velvet Cupcakes with some addictive Cream Cheese Icing! Please let me know if you try this recipe and link to your own version below!
Thank You So Much For Reading 🙂
~ B ~